Guest Editor: Vegan Blogger Sunny Subramanian
Posted on October 20 2016
LOVE GOODLY's October/November box (Click here for a peak inside the October/November box!) was curated by none other than Sunny Subramanian, founder of Vegan Beauty Review and author of The Compassionate Chick's Guide to DIY Beauty. We chatted with her to learn more about Vegan Beauty Review, her goals for the website, and her love for vegan dessert.
Can you tell us a little more about why you started Vegan Beauty Review?
I’ve been a compassionate beauty junkie since I was in utero (I like to joke that placenta was my very first eye cream). ;) I started Vegan Beauty Review in 2007 after searching the web for vegan beauty suggestions and product reviews and not having a ton of luck. I realized there was a void that needed to be filled, and I was more than happy to be the one to do that. I showcase the latest and greatest cruelty-free beauty products, fashion, food and everything in between. My main goal is to show the world that veganism is fun, beautiful, and delicious.
Can you share more about your goals for the website as well as what you would like to achieve?
One of my biggest goals recently came to fruition. I had always dreamt about writing a vegan beauty and lifestyle book based on all the knowledge, tips and tricks I had acquired over the years running VBR, and just last month, my book The Compassionate Chick’s Guide to DIY Beauty was officially launched. I hope to continue growing my brand and educate even more people around the world about cruelty-free living.
What do you love about LOVE GOODLY?
Ooh, I love that they feature the most luxe, all-natural, eco-friendly, vegan & cruelty-free goodies. Everything is so beautifully and thoughtfully curated. Opening a LOVE GOODLY box is like getting a fun birthday surprise, often filled with lots of oohs and ahhs.
What advice can you share those wanting to start a Vegetarian/Vegan lifestyle?
1) Start at a pace that’s comfortable to you. It doesn’t have to be all-or-nothing. Baby steps are totally OK. 2) Follow interesting and engaging vegan food, beauty, and lifestyle blogs and websites to draw inspiration and stay motivated. 3) Join veg-friendly Facebook groups and meet-ups for support and a sense of community.
I am currently…
- Watching... Just finished watching “Stranger Things” on Netflix and am officially hooked!
- Reading... You Are A Badass by Jen Sincero (self-help, inspiration book)
- Eating… Tofu scramble and gluten-free, oil-free, sugar-free pancakes (trying to eat healthier lately… trying)
- Coveting... A life-size cardboard cutout of Ryan Gosling.
- Listening... Ryan Adams’ 1989 Taylor Swift cover album… sooo good!
In your About page, you list a lot of your favorite desserts. Now, if you could pick ONE to eat for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
Rice crispy treats, hands down.
Name 3 beauty or skincare products you are loving right now.
I’m currently gaga over 100% Pure’s Pomegranate Oil lipstick in Hibiscus. It’s a bright red that complements my olive-y skin tone perfectly. It’s long-lasting, it applies like a dream and it’s uber moisturizing. Another product I super duper love is Osea’s Blemish Balm - it’s the perfect moisturizer to use when dealing with breakouts. I also can’t live without Pacifica’s Deodorant Wipes - I seriously use them every single day.
If I had one day with no obligations, meetings, projects, etc., I would…
Sleep in hella late, take a long relaxing bubble bath, get a full body massage, and eat rice crispy treats all damn day.